Fire Prevention Inspector
Under the general supervision of the Fire Chief and/or his/her designee, this position performs specialized work functions to perform inspections and re-inspections of business and residential properties both existing and/or under construction within the West Licking Joint Fire District (“the District”) jurisdiction to ensure compliance with State of Ohio Revised Code, State of Ohio Fire Code, State of Ohio basic building code, West Licking Joint Fire District Adopted Code, International Fire Code; inspects construction sites, installation methods and materials, and construction details of commercial, multi-family, single-family structures to verify compliance with standards, codes and regulations; provides information concerning construction codes and requirements; performs fire/life safety inspections of designated buildings (e.g., schools, nursing homes, warehouses, residential developments, etc.).
Essential Job Functions:
90% Interprets and enforces compliance of State of Ohio Revised Code, State of Ohio Fire Code, State of Ohio basic building code, West Licking Joint Fire District Adopted Code, International Fire Code for residential and commercial structures to ensure compliance with all applicable building, fire protection systems, mechanical and energy codes; examines all structures for compliance under Ohio Revised Code, Ohio Fire Code, West Licking Joint Fire District Adopted Code, International Fire Code and Ohio basic building code; conducts general fire safety inspections, final occupancy and a variety of fee-permit inspections to determine compliance with appropriate code(s); conducts field inspections of commercial, multifamily and single family residential properties of sprinklers, standpipe and alarm systems and possible fire code violations on routine or complaint basis; inspects structural and mechanical installations for compliance with the appropriate construction codes; responds to questions by telephone, email, in-person, etc., regarding code requirements for construction, structural, energy, sound transmission control, mechanical and ventilation; permit application requirements, permit processing times and other construction related questions; maintains permit and complaint records/files; operates computer equipment to maintain plans review approvals, inspection records, generates notices and other written materials; monitors construction projects to detect conditions which may require changes in the construction sequence; informs builders of code violations and necessary action for compliance; operates related equipment (e.g., calculator, levels, gauges, scales, tape, etc.); inspects installation of all new, modified and/or altered fire safety systems, witnesses all acceptance testing; inspects new fire hydrants prior to installation to ensure proper type of materials, threads and installation; maintains knowledge and expertise in the area of construction codes, materials and techniques; maintains professional and cooperative working relationship with co-workers, builders, general public, other governmental entities, etc.
10% Assists in community education (e.g., CPR instruction, basic first aid instruction, fire prevention, etc.); assists the District with fire investigations within the District’s jurisdiction for residential structures and commercial buildings; assists with plan reviews; responds to
emergency situations (e.g., working fires, commercial fire alarms, other responses as directed, etc.); maintains professional and cooperative working relationship with co-workers, builders, general public, other governmental entities, etc.; performs other duties as assigned, including but not limited to being assigned work in other functional areas of the Prevention Unit to cover absences or relief of workload.
Major Worker Characteristics:
- Knowledge of Ohio revised code, Ohio fire code and Ohio basic building code referenced standards and related rules.
- Knowledge of West Licking Joint Fire District Adopted Code.
- Knowledge of International Fire Code.
- Knowledge of public relations.
- Knowledge of field inspection methods, procedures and techniques.
- Knowledge of construction procedures and methods.
- Knowledge of plan review procedures.
- Knowledge of report preparation and records maintenance procedures.
- Knowledge of oral and written communication skills.
- Knowledge of technical systems to be inspected.
- Knowledge of interpersonal skills employing tact, patience and courtesy.
- Knowledge of health and safety regulations.
- Ability to recognize code violations and take necessary corrective action.
- Ability to gather, collate and classify information about data, people or things.
- Ability to handle routine and sensitive inquires and contact with building owners, occupants and other government officials.
- Ability to read and write, add, subtract, multiply and calculate percentage.
- Ability to communicate effectively in person, in writing and other the telephone or portable radios.
- Ability to accurately input data into a computer system.
- Ability to utilize existing and learn new software programs.
- Ability to multi-task and exercise sound judgment to complete job tasks by assigned deadlines.
- Ability to make independent decision and recommendations.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagrammatic or scheduled form.
- Ability to interpret data.
- Ability to perform field inspections of facilities under construction or alteration.
- Ability to verify compliance with assigned building codes, county ordinances and the District’s regulations.
- Ability to work and communicate effectively with the public, contractors, developers and co-workers.
- Ability to resolve conflicts in a positive manner.
- Ability to read and interpret codes and plans.
- Ability to organize and maintain accurate records.
- Ability to walk, stand, and climb for extended periods.
- Ability to lift, stoop and carry objects properly.
- Ability to prepare clear and concise correspondence and written materials.
- Ability to analyze situations accurately and adopt an effective course of action.
- Ability to maintain prompt and regular attendance.
- Ability to observe legal and defensive driving practices.
Minimum Job Qualifications:
- · High School Diploma-OR-equivalent and/or college degree in related field
- · Ohio Certified Fire Safety Inspector (*must maintain a valid certification as a condition of pre and continued employment)
- · Fire Investigation Certification or equivalent (*must obtain certification or equivalent within twelve (12) months from date of hire if not certified at time of hire)
- · Plan review for Fire Officials Certification (*must obtain certification or equivalent within twelve (12) months from date of hire if not certified at time of hire)
- · Certified BLS/CPR Instructor from the District’s approved CPR Program (*must obtain certification within twelve (12) months from date of hire)
- · Completion of Fire Fighter II
- · Completion of EMT-P
- · Valid Ohio Driver’s License
- · *Five (5) years experience in conducting Fire Safety Inspections or five (5) years active certification and experience as a Fire Safety Inspector (*for external candidates only)
- · Full time forty (40) hours per week Monday thru Friday (flexible work week schedule may be available)
- · This position is on-call as needed 24 hours Sunday thru Saturday weekly
- · While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to use hands to handle and feel objects, tools and/or controls; employee is required to stand, walk, sit or reach with hand and arms, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, etc.; specific vision abilities required include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
- · The employee must maintain a valid Ohio Driver’s License in order to operate department vehicles.
- · The employee will work outside and be exposed to weather conditions (e.g., rain, wet, humid, hot, cold, freezing, snow, inclement weather, etc.)
- · Employees must be able to perform the essential job functions of this position with or without a reasonable accommodation(s).
- · Duties outlined in this job description are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work which may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties
- does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or logical assignment of the position.
- · *External candidates will be required to successfully complete pre-employment physical examination, pre-employment polygraph examination, pre-employment background check, pre-employment drug/alcohol testing prior to final offer of employment